Surge is a rapidly growing technology company we consult, advise and build products for other businesses - we have a need for professional sales leaders to join our successful team.
As a QA engineer at Surge you will help us build and deliver a wide range of products, from simple prototypes to large systems with a global reach. You will work as part of a team with Designers, Developers and Product Managers to plan and deliver awesome products to our clients.
You must have at least a couple of years experience working as part of a team in a professional environment and have already been part of a team that has worked on multiple projects from conception to release.
You must be keen to keep up with the latest advancements in your field. You should have one ear to the ground in relation to any and all advancements, processes and techniques which can make you a better tester.
You should be keen to learn from and teach others, whether they be in our office, at conferences or online. We take pride in building quality products and we will expect you to uphold those standards. We require that you are confident with expressing well-crafted opinion to your peers across the delivery team - shy bairns need not apply.
Above all else, we want someone to join our lush team, become part of what we’re trying to achieve and take us on the next step of our journey. While we don’t like tired, cheesy phrases like “self starter, willing to work alone or in a team” this role is for someone who wants to help shape how a delivery team test their work, from the initial requirements gathering all the way through to go-live and beyond. We build and look after a great portfolio of products, and they need the TLC that our clients expect, so our expectations of the person we need to fill this role are high.
- Solid, demonstrable experience of full end-to-end manual testing of mobile apps, webapps and administrative systems.
- Highly skilled in writing test scripts and test plans.
Nice To Have
- Experience of test automation.
- Experience of working in what most people call an Agile environment. But let’s not kid ourselves, doing stand-ups doesn’t make us Agile. But we show great agility, we love Lean, and we adapt to what the client and the product need so be prepared to think and act fast.
- The ability to take on the responsibility of allowing a feature to be released. You’ll be the final gatekeeper - what you say goes so attention to detail and a big set of shoulders is needed.
- Competitive salary depending on experience - while “competitive salary” is annoyingly vague, this is a new position for us, so help us work out what you’re worth. Don’t be shy.
- Guaranteed yearly salary increases in-line with inflation.
- Personal tech budget to help you get setup how you want.
- Ample learning resources budget to help you continue to grow.
- Modern city centre office with fully equipped kitchen ☕️
- Frequent company socials, both in and out of the pub!
- This role is based out of our Newcastle office but we have a flexible remote working policy.
- 20 days holiday plus bank holidays and Christmas shutdown.
- Up to 3% matched Pension contributions.
About Working For Surge
We’re located in Newcastle City Centre, but we encourage flexible working. As long as you do what you say you’re going to do, and don’t stop anyone else doing their work, you can work from the sofa at home in your unicorn onesie. Even though it’s a lush office to be in, you don’t always have to be in the office, so working from home days are cool by us. We do like you to be reachable for key times during the day, even if only on Slack. We’re not ultra-serious, we love to have fun, but we’re 100% dedicated to building awesome product, and we abide by number 4 on our top 10 Surge Qualities: “Don’t be a dick”.
Love of Nicholas Cage’s back catalogue, particularly his mid/late 90s work (and Kick Ass, obvs), is preferred but not mandatory.