Back-end Web Developer
As a web developer at Surge you will work on a wide range of products, from simple prototypes to large systems with a global reach. You will work as part of a team with other web and mobile engineers to plan and deliver projects.
You must have at least 2-3 years experience working as part of a team in a professional environment and have already been part of a team that has worked on multiple projects from conception to release.
You must be keen to keep up with the latest advancements in your field, including both hardware and software advancements. You should have one ear to the ground in relation to libraries, frameworks and other services that could aid your working process.
You should be keen to learn from and teach others, whether they be in our office, at conferences or online.
We take pride in building quality products and we will expect you to uphold those standards.
We require that you are confident with building RESTful APIs in one of the more popular languages of the Web - PHP, Node or Python and are familiar with common software design patterns and architectures. You must have experience with using RDBMS like MySQL or PostgreSQL and have experience with architecting a database schema depending on project requirements.
- Demonstrable experience building REST APIs
- Experience in PHP, Node, Python or similar server-side programming languages
- Understanding and experience with RDBMS like MySQL & PostgreSQL
- Understanding of NoSQL databases like MongoDB, Redis, ElasticSearch
- Knowledge of SOLID principles and coding standards like PSR-1, PSR-2, etc.
- Experience with using 3rd party APIs
- Knowledge and experience with Git version control system
Nice to have (but not required)
- Degree in Computer Science or related field
- Experience with TDD
- Knowledge of CI/CD pipelines and QA processes
- Basic knowledge of Linux server administration
- Experience with using cloud services like Digital Ocean, Amazon Web Services
- Experience of working with docker containers & virtual machines
- Experience in front-end development
About working for Surge
We’re located in Newcastle City Centre, but we encourage flexible working. As long as you do what you say you’re going to do, and don’t stop anyone else doing their work, you can work from the sofa at home in your unicorn onesie. Even though it’s a lush office to be in, you don’t always have to be in the office, so working from home days are cool by us. We do like you to be reachable for key times during the day, even if only on Slack.
Love of Nicholas Cage’s back catalogue, particularly his mid/late 90s work (and Kick Ass, obvs), is preferred but not mandatory.